Nam Iruvar (Eng: We Two) is a 1948 Indian Tamil movie based on a play Thyaga Ullam written by Pa. Neelakantan and directed by Sahasranamam (which itself was based on the story of the 1936 film Iru Sahodhargal), Nam Iruvar was directed and produced by A.V. Meiyappan. The film released in January, a few months before India’s independence after six months of shooting and was a “thundering success”. The story begins with a Subramania Bharati anniversary and ends with Gandhi’s 77th birthday celebrations. A notable feature of the movie were its songs which were written by Indian nationalist Subramaniya Bharati and sung by D. K. Pattammal.
The film is remembered for the dance performances of Baby Kamala. It is also remembered as the first film produced under the banner of AVM Productions. Following the success of the film, AVM moved his studio from Karaikudi to Kodambakkam in Chennai. Nam Iruvar was also the last film directed by A. V. Meiyappan and extensively portrayed the hopes and aspirations of a nation on the brink of independence.
Mahalingam plays the part of Sukumar, the son of a black-marketeer who falls in the company of evil friends and invests his money in making a film in accordance with their advice. However, the film never sees the light of the day and leaves Sukumar heavy in debt. He is eventually questioned by financiers and when he fails to pay them, is dragged to court. How he is rescued from his perilous situation forms the climax of the story. At the end of the movie, Sukumar becomes a nationalist and a Gandhian.
Nam Iruvar also marked the debut of V. K. Ramasamy who plays the role of an evil old man who desires to marry Sukumar’s lady-love Kannamma. The film had a prominent comedy track provided by T. R. Ramachandran of Sabapathy fame.
Directed by A. V. Meiyappan
Produced by A. V. Meiyappan
Written by P. Neelakantan
Starring T. A. Jayalakshmi, Kamala Kumari, T. R. Mahalingam, T. R. Ramachandran, V. K. Ramasamy
Music by R. Sudarshanam
Cinematography T. Muthusamy
Edited by N. V. Raman
Release dates 12 January 1948
Running time 153 minutes